"Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those that matter, don't mind, and those that mind, don't matter."
Friday, June 19, 2015
Friday, June 5, 2015
Your scholarship portfolio is a critical part of applying for scholarships. Searching for scholarships is the easy part of the process. Having all of your documents, letters of recommendation, and several versions of your personal essay ready in your portfolio will avoid missing deadlines.
Now that you have submitted at least three requests for Letters of Recommendation and have all of your required documents filed in your portfolio, it is time to start working on your first Personal Essay.
My next post will start you on the journey of creating the MOST important document in your scholarship application -- your Personal Essay.
Start brainstorming about why you deserve to win a scholarship. Next time I will give you some ideas.
Wednesday, June 3, 2015
Letters of Recommendation are the second most important documents in your scholarship application packet. It is critical to start immediately requesting your endorsement letters. There is a very specific process that you should complete. Please refer to the following:
- Start off with a verbal request. "Do you feel comfortable writing a wonderful letter of recommendation on my behalf"?
- Prepare a scholarship request packet. You will need:
- Two white envelopes (9 X 12)
- Formal letter requesting a letter of recommendation. (Sample in the book and/or on my website in the downloads.)
- Copy of the Guidelines for Writing a Letter of Recommendation. (Sample on my website in the downloads.)
- Completed Scholarship Resume. (Complete on my website and then print it out.)
- Completed Personal Data Form (Complete on my website and then print it out.)
- A copy of your current unofficial transcripts.
- Self address one of the 9 X 12 white envelopes. Fold the envelope in half and include with all of the above documents.
- Address your other white envelope.
- Deliver or mail the request for a recommendation packet to the professor, counselor or other professional.
- Allow two weeks for a your Letter of Recommendation.
- When you receive your letter, write a thank you note immediately.
- Enclose some small token like a bookmark, post-its or even a candy bar to show your appreciation.
- You may need to do follow up a few times.
Remember that you will need a minimum of three Letters of Recommendation. You will need to update them every year or two.
Sunday, May 31, 2015
Although you may not need all of the documents listed below, it is a good idea to have all of them neatly filed in your Scholarship Portfolio. Remember that "Organization is the Key to Success". The important reason for having your portfolio complete is so that you can apply for scholarships in a timely fashion and NOT miss deadlines.
- Driver's License or a DMV ID Card
- Social Security Card
- Birth Certificate
- Alien Registration Card
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Official Transcripts (at least one copy). Remember it needs to be updated every semester or quarter.
- SAT Scores (if you have them)
- High School Transcripts (especially if you have just graduated).
- Head Shot Photo (a selfie is usually NOT adequate).
Be sure that you keep your documents in a very safe place --identity theft is no fun.
Saturday, May 30, 2015
Summer is the PERFECT time to work on scholarships. Be sure that your portfolio is in order. Do you need more letters of recommendation? Can you rewrite your essay(s) to make them even better? Do you have all of the necessary documents? Your documents should be copied in color. Do you need to purchase materials? Check your present supply of the following:
- Organizer sheets -- you can download from my website (www.findingmoneyforcollege.com)
- Updated calendars -- available on your computer (Publisher). Use the UNDERSTATED format.
- Extra sheet protectors
- 9 X 12 WHITE envelopes
- Extra copies of Guidelines for Writing Letters of Recommendation -- my website
- Extra copies of Status Sheets -- my website
- Update your Personal Data sheet -- my website
- Update your Scholarship Resume -- my website
- Perfect your Professional Resume
- Update your professional resume worksheet on your computer.
- Purchase professional looking Thank You Notes.
Friday, May 29, 2015
Although Avery was the popular vote winner and won close to a $1,000 in prizes for the Palm Springs Life Contest, he won't be on the cover of Palm Springs Life. Apparently, that is a separate prize determined by PSL. Just like the voting process, the prize description took several readings by college graduates to fully understand.